My daughter has been wanting to make a “Fairy Garden” all year. This summer her wish will come true. Terrariums are fun, easy and low maintenance.
** I suggest you keep a large poster displayed for the week where you will record the different plants and animals found in various habitats. This will help your children decide what kind of Terrarium they want to make and how they will decorate it.**
- Watch Video on the Desert
- Look at a world map or globe and talk about where the major deserts in the world are located.
- Read : Succulents by June Loves and Life in a Desert by Carol K. Lindeen
- Talk about the types of plants and animals that live in the desert.
- Free Worksheets to reinforce what was learned
- Craft – I found a Lizard craft at AC Moore for $1. You could also fill a jar with different colors of sand. Or look around AC Moore for desert stickers and make a picture.
- Snack – use pre-made biscuit dough (like Pillsbury) and form into cacti. Bake as directed.
- Add the desert plants and animals to the poster/journal.
Day 2: Tropical Forest
- Read: Life in a Rain Forest by Carol K. Lindeen and Over in the Jungle by Marianne Berkes and Jeanette Canyon
- Watch: Let’s Explore the Rainforest
- Write a story about the rainforest using these stickers to illustrate. (If you are feeling creative, fold several pieces of paper in half and staple to create a book) or use this Sticker Book.
- Print this out and eat Rainforest Foods for snack.
- Add the rainforest plants and animals to the poster.
- Read: Life in a Forest by Carol K. Lindeen and Creatures of the Woods.
- Record information on Poster
- Using plant leaves found outside or a nearby woods, do this craft.
- Preschool on-line Forest Animal Games
- Print and make an Animal Tracks Book
- Begin to design terrarium. Use links from Day 4 to create supply list.
- Plan trip tomorrow to pick up supplies.
Day 4: Make A Terrarium!
- Pick up supplies and assemble Terrarium. Here’s how you do it:
- DIY Desert Terrarium
- DIY Woodland and Tropical Terrarium
- Don’t forget to add your critters and decor! AC Moore and Amazon sells “Toobs” which are the perfect size to add to the terrariums.
- Miniature Garden Accessories can be cute, but pricey. Click Here for ideas.
- Make a worksheet packet to reinforce learning from the week using worksheets from these websites:
Day 5: Field Trip
- Visit Tyler Arboretum – a great place to see little fairy homes and gardens.
Please post your completed Terrariums! 🙂